Monday 29 November 2010

Poem of the day: Untitled

Yes of course we have a table sir,
or we'll find one, as it's you.
You told us you were coming?
Well if you're sure, it must be true.

Would sir care to see the menu?
Sir, this is your usual chair.
No of course I'll find another,
we are nothing if not fair.

Your starter sir? A splendid choice,
would you like Confusion with your Pain?
Or a sprinkling of the finest Guilt,
with a side order of Shame?

I don't believe you've tried the Conscience sir,
but correct me if I'm wrong.
Oh, too bitter for your palate?
It's flavour is a little strong.

Oh I see, it is the aftertaste
which lingers for a while.
In that case sir, may I suggest
a large glass of Denial.

And for your main course? Loneliness,
with Torment on the side.
Of course sir, would you like your Tears
boiled, baked or fried?

Now, for dessert, I think you'll find
we've added to the list.
It's Love sir, very sweet to taste...
Remove it? Of course, if you insist.

You're not leaving us already sir?
Oh no problem, pay next time.
and yes, it was my own mistake
that made you spill your wine.

Oh sir, it is too awful,
what bad manners I have showed.
Perhaps then, sir would care to take,
some Ego for the road.


Written 2000